You are invited to join us during Holy Week as we journey with Jesus as He enters Jerusalem on Palm Sunday; dines with His Disciples for the last time, is betrayed and arrested on Thursday evening; makes his way to the cross and is crucified on Friday and claims the ultimate victory, defeating death and sin for good, for ALL who would call on His name on Easter Sunday! Details may be found below:
- Sunday, April 14th is Palm Sunday. Come & worship at 8:00, 9:30 11:00 or 11:10 a.m. All worshippers will receive a palm.
- Thursday, April 18th, join us at 7:30 p.m. for “A Living Portrayal,” a reenactment of The Last Supper on Maundy Thursday, in the Sanctuary.
- Friday, April 19th there are several opportunities to enter into the passion of Good Friday:
1. 12:15 p.m. – A half-hour lunchtime Contemplative Service in the Sanctuary.
2. 1:00p.m.-3:00p.m.–The Walk of Love: A Good Friday Vigil. Take some time to quietly consider the stations of the cross in a silent prayer retreat in the Sanctuary. This self-paced prayer journey will provide you prayer prompts designed to help you personally contemplate the last hours of Jesus. You are invited to take as much time as you would like at each prayer center.
3. 7:30p.m.– Good Friday evening features the Festival Choir during a service of Tenebrae in the Sanctuary. The Tenebrae is an ancient Good Friday service that makes use of gradually diminishing light through the extinguishing of candles to symbolize the events of Holy week from the triumphant Palm Sunday entry through Jesus’ burial.
- Saturday, April 20th at 7:30 p.m. join the Pastors and the Praise Team in the Community Center as we begin Easter celebrating the Sacrament of Baptism, while utilizing West Lawn UMC’s very own baptistry for the first time! What a joy it is to have the opportunity to host immersion baptisms right here at West Lawn UMC! We remember Paul’s words found in Romans 6:4 (NRSV):“Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.”
We hope you will join us!
- Sunday, April 21st is Easter Sunday! Services will be held at 8:00, 9:30, 11:00 and 11:10 a.m. The Sacramentof Holy Communion will be a part of each Easter Day service. Join us as we celebrate Christ’s resurrection!